Friday, November 5, 2010

For Jane










Elizabeth, with your fine eyes and wit,

have not only captivated the proud Mr. Darcy,

but millions around the world.

Your striking and independent thoughts are not your own.

They belonged to one whose life was led by her wit,

Able to laugh at those who didn't understand the world

like she.


Mr. Darcy, would you be so proud if knew

the circumstances from which you came?

You may not be able to look on without abhorrence.

Your wealth, station, and impressive lineage

Are all part of an intricate world conceived by

a mere rector's daughter.


Tell me, Mr. Collins, whose patronage should you serve above all,

Who you should thrust your bumbling compliments on

The one whom you should acquiesce your very speech,

and at every turn revere?

Nay, not Lady Catherine,

but your creator:


Miss Austen, the woman with the clever, biting quill.

3 comments:

  1. Ooooooh! I like it! Please tell me you wrote it. I can't think of someone who could write this more profoundly than you, the Austenian purist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did write it. I am little purist, I guess. ;)

    ReplyDelete