Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Old Post, New Post

The following is a post I started about a month and a half ago, but never posted. I expanded it, so it's a little bit of an amalgamation of my thoughts then and now. Sorry if it's a little weird.

Forget Fast Food Nation! We're becoming a Vending Machine Food World!!! I have mixed feelings about this story I found on MSN: http://www.delish.com/food-fun/unusual-vending-machine-foods?gt1=47001. I get a few items of vending machine food a week myself, so I think that having a variety is nice, especially because the vending machine food can get old real quick. I am also impressed with the ability of the machines to make it fresh and personalized right in front of you. I think the coolest ones might be: the pizza and the ice maker, where you can be a part of the process from the beginning.

Beyond the coolness of the technology, this trend is making me worried. The quality of vending machine food seems to be going up, where you don't have to worry about the massive amount of preservatives in the food, but still. How hard is it to go up and order these foods from a REAL person? Or to drive it home, how hard is it to make these things at HOME? I think that cooking is becoming a lost art among the people of the world. So many people have such low expectations of what food is or should be, when I feel like food has so many diverse flavors and textures that need to be realized and experienced! Food is a little like language in the fact that there are endless possibilities in what you can do with it, granted some things aren't right to put together, but, that's what experimenting is for, right? Try to make some food so you're not limited in your choices.

Okay. I'll get off my soap box now.

1 comment:

  1. Best thing about vending machines: no one knows you've had 13 bags of M&Ms in one week.

    Also, there's no tax so you save like a nickel. And after 13 bags, that adds up.

    I miss you!

    ReplyDelete