So, I've decided that having a blog is not too bad of late. I have had a little time to spare (Yay for two weeks off of school!) and there have been a few events in my life that I feel are noteworthy enough, so I am actually blogging! I know, weird.
Well, this isn't a particularly great event in my life, but I still thought it noteworthy. There was a fire in Hobble Creek Canyon that started Monday. It was quite a distance from my home, but Monday night I chilled in town for about 2 hours before they would let me come home. It was all I wanted to do, having kind of a sobering/depressing day that day, and they wouldn't let me. Oh well, I got over it.
I am grateful for the almost instantaneous response we got from the community and state firefighters, because even though it was not near my home, I know everyone in the canyon, and I was concerned for their homes. There are some pretty cool pictures that people have taken. Here's some.
Well, this isn't a particularly great event in my life, but I still thought it noteworthy. There was a fire in Hobble Creek Canyon that started Monday. It was quite a distance from my home, but Monday night I chilled in town for about 2 hours before they would let me come home. It was all I wanted to do, having kind of a sobering/depressing day that day, and they wouldn't let me. Oh well, I got over it.
I am grateful for the almost instantaneous response we got from the community and state firefighters, because even though it was not near my home, I know everyone in the canyon, and I was concerned for their homes. There are some pretty cool pictures that people have taken. Here's some.


It got quite a bit of coverage on the news, but I think that was due to the fact that there was a fire in the next canyon over that was happening at the same time. The fires burnt up quite a bit of forest service land, I think about 300 acres total, but the real point of interest in the stories are that they are investigating arson on the cases. I have been following the news reports as much as I can and right now they are offering reward money for anyone who can give them a lead/info on possible suspects of the arson. http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_13161738 Whether it was intentional or unintentional, it has caused a bit of excitement in the lives of the Springville and Mapleton denizens.
The other side of the news is I have an internship lined up for the fall. I had kind of put off looking for one because I was trying to do well in my Spring and Summer term classes, but with lots of prayer and faith, I am getting an awesome opportunity! I get to actually teach English to a class, which most of the interns don't get an opportunity to do so.
I will be supervised by a graduate student, who will be ultimately responsible for the outcome of the class, but I have to do the disciplining, grading, basically all of the responsibilities that a teacher has. It's a reading class, and I'll get to teach students that have very minimal English. This will be difficult, but I think I'll get to see them really grow in this semester. That's enough to get me excited!

(Haha, this book makes me laugh, so I put it up)
I feel almost as though this opportunity was dropped in my lap, because of how quickly it pulled together, but I know that I tried my best with the time that I had to get out the word for me needing an internship.
Anyway, now I feel as though I might actually have some cool things to blog about this year. Yay for teaching!
I was thinking about you when I heard the news on about the fire. I'm glad that it sounds like you're okay.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the internships. I'm glad everything worked out, you deserve it. It sounds like a neat opportunity!
SARAH!!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad that you are blogging again. Now I can blog stalk you, and you better believe that I have mad blog stalking skills!
email me the address that you use for blogger, and I'll send you an invite to my blog!
(I'm excited hence the !!!!)
This whole post makes me happy. Well...after the fire part. :D I love the Pig in Love book. I am so excited for you and your intership! We can totally compare notes and class experiences! I can't wait to hear more about it when I get home. :D
ReplyDelete