As soon as Spring semester started, it felt like I was a on a pedestal with a ringmaster shouting, "Friends, coworkers, and bosses of all ages! Step right up and try your chances at setting up this girl with a guy you know!" I was being approached by several people who were all excited to give their all. One of them didn't pan out, because the guy in question became engaged before he would ever go out with me, but c'est la vie. Right? Here is a synopsis of the two dates I have been on.
Date #1
My very good friend from my singles ward wants to set me up with a guy she works with. I agreed, but I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing, owing to the fact that the last blind date I went on was definitely a no go. So even though I had known about this shindig going down since early April, being mentally prepared for a while, I decided, "Hey, what the heck...let's do this."
I pick up my date, and am pleasantly surprised at his attractiveness. The night is pretty fun, and I have a good time. The only downfall I might have found, is that he's younger than me, but only by a year. Not really a big deal. He and I have similarities and had fun creating a Buddha sculpture out of a half gallon of melty Tin Roof Sundae ice cream. I take him home, but I don't know exactly what to do, so I give him a car hug, which is totally LAME.
He adds me as a friend on Facebook, and a couple back and forth messages later, we never talk to each other again. Still see him post stuff on Facebook, would like to comment, but feel stupid because I haven't talked to him in months.
Date #2
A lady I work with cornered me in the work room with a question, "Are you dating anyone?" I answered negatively. She goes on to tell me of her younger brother that she thinks has a lot in common with me, and how she just would really like to set us up on a date. "Sure," I said, with a nonchalance that totally contradicted the pathetically worry-wart scenarios bouncing around in my head.
Well, he calls me while I'm up the canyon, and so I have to call him back (which I am NOT a phone person, and I hate calling people I don't know, and sometimes even people I do know), and of course, I get his voice mail...So finally, he calls me at home, and we set up the date. He wants to pick me up, and I really tried to discourage him to just to meet me somewhere. Now, he lives in Holladay (Salt Lake area), and I live a half hour from Provo, so all in all it's about an hour and a half drive. I make sure to give him directions up to my house, after asking him if he knew the area. He said he did, so I just sweat it out until the day of.
The meeting time comes and goes, and I get a phone call from him. He's gone up Spanish Fork Canyon, not Hobble Creek Canyon! He's almost made his way back to Springville, and I tell him that it's another 20 minutes to get to my house. I could tell he was a little shocked, but he came up anyway (it took him 30 minutes, which for people who don't live there, is about right). He's now an hour late. I didn't really care, he was the one with the tighter schedule for the day, but I was sorry that he got lost, even if it was his fault.
We talk in the car, and it was really good, even better than the last date, I think. He drives all of the way to north Orem, where we go out to eat. We're maybe there for 45 minutes (tops!), and then he drives me home. We are animated talking some more on the way home, but I ran a 5k that morning, so maybe I was more tired and unresponsive than I remember. I really don't know. He told me he had "a delightful time" and I gave him a hug and then I went inside.
In the aftermath, everyone was asking me if I texted him and thanked him or whatnot, and I am so out of the dating loop, I couldn't tell you what the right way to let a guy know I had a good time, or wanted to go out again (which I did).
I end up sending him a text asking for his Key Lime Pie recipe (he likes cooking), and he sends it to me via email. In response, I thank and ask him to come make it with me. No answer. No dice. Nada.
Okay......
I want you to know that I have not minded these dates. I was attracted to both of the guys, and I thought they were great. I wouldn't mind going on more dates with either one of them.
Sometimes I wonder if I have too positive of outlooks after dates, when I should be more analytical of what happened. I think, "That date was great! We had a lot in common, we talked a lot, laughed, had a good time...", but then in the end, it's a dead end.
I don't understand. If I feel a connection, doesn't that mean that there's gotta be another side to the connection (particularly coming from him)? Or does it mean that I'm kind of a charismatic leech oblivious to the guys furiously trying to shake me off?
There is another possible date in the works, set up by my boss. But it's very, very tentative. She doesn't know how to get a hold of him. Yeah, slight problem there. Oh well. If it never comes to fruition, then I just have to deal with it.
So now, instead of being the girl that everyone wants to set up, I feel like I deserve the title of "One-Date Wendy" instead.
Even so. If you feel like setting me up, I only have 2 words for you.
Bring it.
I love it. Charismatic leech...hahah. I feel like that some times. Only I don't have the charismatic part to make it bearable.
ReplyDeleteWV: sucki. hah my life.
I have a couple comments.
ReplyDelete1) About time you posted something on here!
2) HAHAHAHAHA. These stories never get old. Especially since I think I'm one of the only ones who HASN'T tried to set you up with anyone. ;)
3) I went on a blind date tonight. I should tell you about it sometime.